During our processing design paper last year, we looked into the material properties of wax, specifically how it reacted to being melted and then cooled to varying degrees. And in the last few days, I have been working on a technique in grasshopper which is to some extent reproducing those results. So I did a few iterations and thought I’d post up the results of the digital wax models.
This technique was birthed out of my trying to intentionally ‘break’ kangaroo simulations, something which I would encourage you to try if you are an avid grasshopper user. When you try and push the boundaries of a simulation, interesting things can happen. in essence, I tried to rapidly change the tension of a mesh in kangaroo. This, in conjunction with a bit of magic to avoid self collisions in the engine, produced some much more raw results. Then it was just a matter of applying a little bit of smoothing over the top of the mesh (note: iterative smoothing, not subdividing) to even out some of the larger creases that had formed, and voila! The following results were produced!