The other day I got working on a capsule design in grasshopper. The basic idea was to create a series of struts between two spheres of different sizes (the logic is shown in the diagram below).
In order to put this together, we started with two spheres, and populated points across them. Then we used exoskeleton (a grasshopper plugin) in order to generate a network of connecting lines between the two spheres. I also worked in an algorithm which would generate a solid ring around the centre so that the two halves could be pulled apart and not sit as disparate elements. The network was then thickened to generate the geometry.
The third render is one done with very thin struts, the second render shows the wireframe breakdown of the model, and the main render is the thickened mesh with a psychedelic looking caustic pattern result, because why not?
I used several programs to create this overall shape. Firstly, the base geometry was created in rhino’s grasshopper, with the help of the exoskeleton and weaverbird plugins. I then took the model into 3ds max, where I generated the housing for a magnet on each side of the model. From there, I took the model into zbrush, because I’ve found that zbrush handles mesh booleans far better than any other program I’ve come across, especially with its dynamesh feature. Then I took it back into rhino in order to slice the mesh into two chunks and close the holes (unfortunately zbrush wasn’t able to do this part properly). Then it went into maya to fill some small holes in the mesh. From there, I brought it back into zbrush to retopologise it with zremesher, and finally brought it into 3ds Max for rendering.