Today I made this form by use of the spatial deformation tab in grasshopper. The model was simple enough, but the render was a bit more intricate. Here is the first one I produced.
It had several issues such as the backdrop, and the lights weren’t soft enough for my liking. Also, the bump map was far too strong. so I had to tone that down as well. The transitions overall are just quite harsh.
Instead of using directional lights, I decided to use point lights, and the result was much better. It produced a much better studio lighting condition, the shadows are also more subtle, and the backdrop has a smoother gradient to it. I also reduced the bump multiplier to a lowly 0.1 multiplier, and the effect is much more to my liking.