Our studio this semester made us put some energy into the idea of essence diagrams, the idea is that you should be able to convey your concept in a drawing with 6 lines or less.
So the essence of my design was the inverted L shape, this was the driver and enabler for the concept to really take off.
The iterations go through several stages:
- Firstly, the inverted L sits on its neighbour
- Secondly, a window is added to break up the concrete facade and bring in daylight + variation
- thirdly, the building is fully raised off the ground, using its neighbour entirely for structural support
- fourthly, detail is added to the glass opening to bring character to the design and work as a linking element between the two outside cages
- fifthly, the pitched roof was taken into account
- sixthly, the approach had to be considered, and hence an opening was sliced out of the bottom corner.
- seventh + eighthly – several different stair approaches were considered
- ninthly, Apertures became a large consideration and were added in the form of small perforations
- lastly, the apertures were adjusted for the private space to provide views out to key locations